March 9, 2008

Training?

I haven't had as much time as I would like to train recently. I have been extremely busy with work and school and some more work... I manage to ride my bike a couple of times a week and run a couple of times a week, and that's about it. I thought my last swim was sometime in September, but a couple of my athletes reminded me this weekend that I swam with them in November, so I guess it hasn't been as long as I had though. Is there hope for me yet? ;)

I really want to train properly again. I challenge myself emotionally and mentally everyday, but I think I need to challenge myself physically as well, just to keep things balanced. A few weeks ago, I decided it will be an awesome idea to run a 50 mile race as it is very hard to train without having a racing goal. There is one in Victoria in May, but I don't think my 2 weekly runs will cut it... besides, my athletes are my main priority until their racing season ends and that is not until the end of August (and even later for a few). I started looking at some races in the USA and there are a few in Colorado or Washington in September that will be perfect. Now I really need to commit to a race :)

So running will get sorted by registering for the 50m race. As for cycling, I think I might have to either buy a bike that is a bit less than the one I REALLY want (unless I win the lottery or sell my car) or just clean my bike so I can actually shift... The logic behind this one is that if my bike actually shifts nicely, I might be nicer to ride. Makes sense, right?! Haha. It is so dirty from winter riding... Which brings me to another point: how come it rained almost every time I was on my bike this winter, if I was only riding a couple of times a week? That just does not make any sense... then again, I do live in Victoria ;) As for swimming, I plan on take my swimming gear with me every time I go to the pool to coach and see what happens, starting tomorrow morning :)

Goals for this week: run three times a week, ride twice a week and swim once a week. I know it doesn't sound like a lot of training, but its a good place to start now that I have a racing goal again! I figured posting it on my blog will keep me accountable... so feel free to check in and remind me of these goals and keep on working towards your training and racing goals :)

N

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very attainable goal - good on you! I'm slow and getting fat - no racing goals this year except September MOMAR. I think I need your help again!

Unknown said...

Wanna swim tomorrow at 9:30 or 10?? We love the pics by the way!