April 4, 2010

Bacon & leek stuffed acorn squash

I wrote this recipe on a tiny piece of paper right after I made this dish... and since I am pretty sure I will lose said piece of paper pretty soon, I figured I better post it asap! Besides, I am on a bit of a roll here too...

So here it is: my latest kitchen experiment... one that was actually double tested! I made this on Wednesday as some sort of a test run. I had a butternut squash lying around and I used it for experiment #1. It turned out great! Then I used an acorn squash on Friday for experiment #2 (Andrew was kind of bummed out he didn't get to try experiment #1...) and it was even better! I recommend that you use acorn squash, but at least now you know there is another option too.

You will need...
  • 2 small acorn squash
  • 1 onion
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 leek (just the white part)
  • 12-14 small brown mushrooms
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 6 strips bacon (FYI: Red Barn has great bacon!)
How?
  • Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
  • Cut squash lengthwise by half and scoop out the seeds. Place in a roasting dish and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Roast for ~20 minutes or until tender (not too soft though!)
  •  While the squash is roasting, chop the onion, slice the leeks, crush & chop the garlic. heat the coconut oil in a pan and saute everything for ~10 minutes.
  • Cook the bacon in another pan. When cooked, cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
  • Slice the mushrooms and add then to the leeks/onions/garlic. Saute for another 5-8 minutes. Add the bacon.
  • By this point, the squash should be ready... Take it out of the oven and stuff with the mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or so, or until the squash is soft. 


I am out of ideas of what vegetable I should experiment with next... other than a pepper, which is kind of ordinary. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Kamal Rae said...

stuff it and wrap it in bacon.