November 14, 2007

Overload, Adaptation and Business

When we train, we place a specific load on the muscles or systems that is greater than normal load. This will cause adaptation. Once adaptation is reached, the load can increase again. There is more to it, but for the purpose of my little analogy this will suffice. Earlier this week I realised that the training principles of overload and adaptation apply to business as well... in my case they do anyways.

In August, coaching was going well. I was still working at the bike store. Now that I think of it, I have adapted to my work load. It wasn't greater then normal, which led to adaptation and then to plateau. Towards the end of August, I got a fantastic offer to set up an office at the Brentwood Massage & Physiotherapy clinic. I guess that was the additional overload I needed to take my business to the next level.

I left the bike store in September. That was a huge step for me, because all of a sudden I had a new office to get off the ground and I had lost my security blanket (bike store steady income...). There was a definite overload involved... and it kept on increasing from one week to the other. Within 2 months I have almost doubled my athlete base, started looking for new coaches to join my team, work load at the office has increased rapidly and custom cycling clothing and swimsuits are on the way.

At the beginning of the month, I thought I have adapted to the load and the first week of the month was nice and relaxing. Obviously, it was time to increase the load :) Funny enough, a couple of opportunities came up that will do just that! I wasn't even looking to increase the load, it just happened :)

So where am I actually going with this analogy? I'm not too sure... I just thought it was interesting how things just evolve the way they are supposed to. Every day brings something new. Its a good thing, it keeps me on my toes :)

Keep in touch... I will post updates on a regular basis as things evolve! New and exciting things are on the go :)

Keep on training!

N

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noa! Well put - insightful as always! Congratulations on all your achievements this year!
- Carmen