August 20, 2008

China - Days 5 & 6 - August 2nd & 3rd

I have decided that those of you reading this blog are likely not too interested in what presentations I attended and exactly what I have learned... so I will just provide a quick summary and get on with more interesting stuff. It is a bit of a stub in the dark since I have no idea who is actually reading this blog, so correct me if I'm wrong!

The 2nd and 3rd days of the conference were great, just like the first one. I did find it harder and harder to pick what sessions I should go to as there were 12 sessions running at the same time, each is 1.5 hours long... I also had to learn that it is not rude to leave in the middle and go to another presentation. On the contrary, it is almost expected and encouraged, that's why they are really strict on the time each presenters has.

Day 2 session summary
8:30 - Electromyographic analysis of human movement and control
10:30 - Exercise, obesity and body composition.
12:30 - Posters!
13:30 - IOC students/teachers meeting.
15:50 - Motor control and learning

I managed to squeeze in a short swim after the last presentation and before dinner (first time in the pool after a long time...). I finally got to meet 2 of my prpffesors and 5 of my classmates. Only 6 (3 first year, 3 second year) of us came to the conference (it was optional), which I thought was a shame. A small group, but good quality :) We has some discussions about the conference, sport nutrition, the Olympics and had a great dinner so we can get to know each other a bit better.



Day 3 session summary
8:30 - A comparitive study of coaches' professional development between different countries: a perspective of globalization.
10:30 - Central and peripheral adaptations to exercise and athletic training
12:30 - More posters
15:50 - Knowledge translation between sports and occupational medicine.
17:30 - IOC students/teachers meeting

After we talked some more about what we have learned during the day (doping seemed to be a hot topic...), we tried to figure out what to do for dinner... a few of us were not sick of Chinese food yet, but Albert, Miriam, Pippa and I were on the hunt for some Western food, and we weren't too picky of what kind of Western food it was... thats how a bunch of sport nutritionists ends up at Pizza Hut! We decided that if we went to the mall, we could find something there. The mall was massive, and totally packed with people, it was insane. We just walked into the first non-Chinese restaurant we saw, which was Pizza Hut.





No comments: