January 23, 2009

Black and White? (slightly revised)

I used to draw a lot a few years back. I still do, but not as much as I used to. The drawing below was created after taking A LOT of pictures while visiting Venice, Italy during the fall of 2001. I was there for the mountain running world championships, and had to check it out, as the race venue was only a few hours north of Venice. When I got back home, I edited a few of the pictures I had taken and drew 3 of them (this one is my favorite). I have always preferred black and white drawing over painting, and I think everything I ever created with a pencil is much better than anything I have ever created with a paint brush. I love the detail I can achieve and the depth I can create with just a few pencils. The detail of the drawing always seem to relax me, and the only thing that would keep me sitting still for more than 30 minutes!



I think it is pretty clear that the drawing above is NOT black and white... even though it may appear to be a black and white drawing, it is actually full of various shades of grey. Since I am passionate about both drawing and coaching, I would like to compare the two for a second (really, just a second :). Coaching, just like drawing, is not black and white... there are many shades of grey in there too! I have heard many coaches say that either a qualitative or quantitative approach should be taken when it comes to coaching (it is the same with sport science too...), and that things should be done in a certain way vs another way, etc... old school vs new school... analysis vs not analyzing at all... but how about combining approaches? What about everything in the middle? What about the individual approach? What about using experience, education and intuition? When you look at things in black and white you risk losing the grey... With any photo editing software, you can change the setting of a picture to 'grayscale' or 'black and white'. If you have never done that before (which I doubt, in our digital age...) - try it! It will become clear that when you look at things in black and white, many details disappear... those details are important to create a detailed, complete picture... in drawing and in coaching. Regardless of what approach you take, what 'camp' you associate yourself with, etc... try to open your eyes and use your experience and observation skills to see both the big picture and the small details, and listen to what your athletes have to say too... you might learn a thing or two ;)

I promised I will only compare drawing and coaching for a second, and I believe I used up that second... (I also need to get to a meeting...), so I will leave you to ponder this. Comments are welcome, as usual.

Noa

2 comments:

Dr. Nellie Deutsch said...

Hi Noa,
I love the drawing. You are a very talented artist and I hope to visit one of your art exhibitions in the near future. I agree that we are individuals with unique skills and thought processes. However, as much as I love looking at your excellent drawings in shades of gray, I love your color drawings, too.

DaveR said...

As someone who has yet to progress from drawing stick men figures I have to say I am impressed by your drawing talent. As for the analogy with coaching and sport, as I get older (and try and deteriorate less than my competition) I need to find more and more of the grey areas. I think that is why I appreciate your coaching style and insight. Keep up the great blogging.