January 14, 2009

Some other news and rambling...

The other news part of this post
The PT Performance Training coach mentoring program is now officially on its way... 6 coaches will start working under my guidance this month. If you would like to learn more about this program, send me an email!

The rambling part of this post

I don't frequent triathlon/cycling/running forums very often. In fact, I am not a big fan of them at all... but sometimes, I do stumble across them, and today was one of those times. There was one post, by a triathlete who has been experiencing tight calfs. He has an appointment with a sports doctor in two weeks and in the mean time he is posting on a triathlon forum, asking other athletes for their opinion...

I think this is a bit of a funny situation. To go on a forum/chatline and ask questions, share experiences, etc is one thing, but when it comes to injuries, etc - a forum is just not the right place! Any physiotherapist or chiropractor should be able to diagnose this athlete and give him/her exercises to treat and prevent this situation in the future (and this could have been resolved a lot faster than waiting for the doc appointment). Going to a sports doctor is nice, but not needed (in this case). I have worked with so many athletes with tight calfs... it is pretty common among triathletes and runners, and all of them got treatment and started doing some specific exercises and their calfs have been pain free ever since...

This is just one example and this is, in a nut shell, why I am not a big fan of forums... go talk to someone who is trained and have the experience to diagnose and treat injuries instead of wasting your time posting on forums, hoping that someone will have a magic pill for you to swallow and make everything all better... Besides, with all the time some athletes spend posting and following treads on various forums, they could have gotten more training in...

So, turn off your computer right now (after you finish reading this and making a comment, off course...), and go get some training in... ;) Which is exactly what I am going to do! My bike is calling my name...

No comments: