August 19, 2009

Grain free banana blueberry loaf

I have a freezer full of bananas. I always seem to get more bananas than I can eat, and they end up in the freezer doomed to be used in baking (not that there is anything wrong with that...). I also happen to have a fridge full of blueberries, because kamal gave me a pretty big box of them before he left for Kelowna on Saturday.

So I decided to try something a bit different. I could have baked a "normal" loaf. You know, that kind with sugar, flour and eggs... but I try and avoid wheat products as much as I can (although I have to admit I do not avoid it 100%...), so I was looking for something a bit more creative.

What you need:
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup honey (I used 1/4 Babe's honey, 1/4 blueberry honey)
1 1/2 cups almond meal
3/4 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tbsp baking soda
1/4 cup organic shredded coconut
1 cup blueberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cinnamon
I also threw in some white chocolate chips, for good measure :-)

The end result turned out VERY tasty, but I made a few mistakes along the way...

1. To start off with, I should have used a bit more almond meal, perhaps closer to 2 cup.
2. Since I really do have A LOT of blueberries in my fridge, I kind of just threw them in without adhering to my initial planning of 1 cup. I measured everything else properly, but not the blueberries... and I added too many. Oh well... they are rich in Quercetin, which shows strong anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative, anti-pathogenic effects and a relationship to improved endurance performance. But enough with the science talk (even if it was pretty brief) - back to the loaf...
3. I should have baked it as bars, not a loaf...
4. I guess I can try adding a couple of eggs as well...

The above mistakes aside, there is hope for this recipe - I am sure my next try will turn out a lot better. At least I know it will taste SO good once it is perfected. I will try again when I get back from Kelowna/Salmon Arm/Revelstoke/Penticton at the beginning of September and keep you posted.

In the mean time, if there are any bakers out there reading this blog, please feel free to make some suggestions :-)

3 comments:

Alicia B. said...

Heh Noa!

First time on your blog, and read your post on the vegan banana blueberry loaf. I'm looking forward to trying it out:)
In regards to eggs. Are you familiar with using flax eggs to replace regular eggs in baking? I use it in my gluten free breads and muffins often. I am a full time gluten free'er, but not vegan, but love variety in my diet.
As well I thought I could pass on a gluten free muffin recipe to you.

To use flax egg replacer. For every egg replace with:
1 heaping tbsp ground flax and 3tbsps cold water. Add to a bowl and let stand before adding to recipes.

Banana Zucchini Muffins

Preheat oven to 350C

In a large bowl combine:

2 cups almond meal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 medium bananas, mashed
1/4 cup zucchini, grated
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
2 tbsp honey

Combine all ingredients in bowl and let stand 10 minutes or so. Batter will be quite runny. That's okay! They will turn out just fine.
While batter is sitting, you can line your muffin cups and tidy your workstation.

After alloted standing time, spoon out batter into muffin cups and only fill half full.
Place in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until tops are nicely browned.
If you have a larger muffin tin then you should end up with 12 muffins, if yours is smaller you will have extra batter to make more muffins.(approx 15 muffins?)
So when your first batch is done, drop them on wire rack immediately to cool, and line a few muffin cups again, fill with whatever batter is left over.

Fully cool the muffins, and they can be stored in the fridge for about 5 days.

**Just a note, I am in Alberta, drier climate and different altitude. So you may have to tinker with the moisture/dryness of batter just a touch by adding a bit more almond meal??

This is my favorite muffin recipe right now because it is a simple, one bowl, quick and easy recipe to whip up.

Hope you're able to try them out! And am looking forward to more recipe posts.
If you have any questions, just give me a shout via e-mail. abulmer@shaw.ca
Cheers
Alicia

Noa said...

Thanks Alicia!! I think next time I'll try my recipe with more almond meal and the eggs replacement... and I will definitely try your Banana Zucchini muffins recipe! It sounds awesome!

Noa

Dr. Nellie Deutsch said...

Bring some bananas over to Israel. I never seem to have enough and they always run out before I get to do very much with them.