October 5, 2009

I have to run with this brace from now on...

And it's a bit annoying...

But I am OK with it now - Im pretty happy to be running again after 2 weeks of being unable to do so. A lot of people have been asking me what is going on with my foot, so I figured it may be blog post worthy. I even attached a picture of the brace for your viewing pleasure!

It all started about 2.5 years ago, when I damaged some ligaments in my right ankle. I did a pretty good job at it too, because I was still unable to walk properly 2-3 months afterwards! I did my fair share of stability and rehabilitation exercises and everything seemed to be OK... But then a couple of weeks ago Andrew wanted to go for a swim at Thetis and I really wanted to go for a run around there while he swims... and I twisted that foot again. It didn't seem too serious at that point, I figured it will be a few days of RICE and I would be back at it. However, I got super physio Linda to take a look, just to be on the safe side, and it was pretty apparent that I damaged my calf too... To add insult to injury - my foot seem to have a lot of movement back and forth (which is not really a good thing) and it all started with that injury 2.5 years ago. Luckily, lateral stability is all good.

I started running again on Saturday, with the lovely brace pictured below. Annoying, but it's holding the talus bone where it belongs, because the ligaments around that area aren't doing that very well anymore. The part that got to me at first was the fact that it's not a temporary thing - I will need to use the brace all the time, especially when trail running. If it wasn't for the fact that it affects my running, It would actually be kind of cool having that much movement through the foot!

No comments: