March 13, 2009

Last weekend's racing...

I have NO idea where this week went, it just flew by! I seriously can not believe it is already Friday...

Last weekend some of my athletes were racing at the UBC triathlon and the Bazan Bay 5km. It was a good weekend of racing... Myke already posted a report on his blog (look for it on my blogroll...), so I will only say that he had a great run finishing 2nd in the 20-24AG. 16:19 after the training I made him do that week is pretty respectful, especially for an ultra-runner! To top it off, Martin and Dean both posted PB's. It also seems like I missed the sprint of the year between Simon W and Scott S... maybe I should have gone to Bazan bay instead of UBC?!

Off the island, at UBC, Adam came in 2nd OA. I am sure he will post a race report on his blog soon (nudge, nudge Adam...), so I will not expand on that. Matt, Mike, Andrew and Amber had good races despite of freezing temperatures... Amber also came in 2nd in her AG :)

I spent the bike portion doing what I normally do while watching races: analyze athletes' bike fits, of course... (oh, and cheer people on too!). There were some good positions, some bad ones and a few that simply looked painful... I have done more than enough bike fits to know not to jump to conclusions without knowing the full story, but I sometimes get really frustrated when I know I can help someone but I can't exactly go up to that person and tell them they should let me fit them on their bike, right? (or maybe I can??). In one particular case, I know what issue that athlete has, and after seeing him ride his bike - I also know what needs to be done to fix that issue... so what do you do? Since I don't really know that person all that well, do I do nothing? Or let them know they should come see me? Hmmmm..... or maybe I should just stop analyzing athletes' bike positions while watching triathlon races? (yeah, right... like that is going to happen...).

I have 3 bikes fits to do over the weekend, so I'll just make sure those athletes are happy on their bikes, and stop worrying about fixing everyone else's bike fits, unless they want me to do so. I am slowly learning that I can't help those that do not want to be helped...

Until next time, have a great weekend!!

Noa

1 comment:

Vincent said...

I don't think it would be out of line to go up to someone after a race and say something like,

Hi, great race but I couldn't help notice ... and give them your tips, suggesting how much faster and what great potential they could have.

I know if someone came up to me and said something like that I wouldn't be too upset. I find most triathletes are so big on self analysis that they will take any tips they can get.