December 28, 2009

My Do-Not-Do-List... for 2010

About a week ago I got this RSS feed via email... and then, a couple of days later, I got this one too. I like Danielle LaPorte's ideas, writing and the energy that they seem to generate... If that sort of thing is your cup of tea (and even if it may not be...) her website, White Hot Truth, is worth a visit. I sure am glad I found it!

Her first blog post kind of got me thinking. She posted these following questions:

1) What are you deeply passionate about?
2) What are you are genetically encoded for — what activities do you feel just "made to do"?
3) What makes economic sense — what can you make a living at?

Hmmm... kind of makes you think, right? Ideally, you should answer these questions with a yes in relation to your work. But how many people do you know who can do that? I am lucky enough to answer all these questions with a big yes and also surround myself with plenty of people who can do that same, something that makes me very grateful. If there is one thing I can't stand, is people who dislike their line of work, place of work, etc... If you don't like what you are doing - Change it & stop complaining! I realize it is not an easy thing to do, but it can be done with passion, creativity and hard work. It's a process, and it is worth it.

Another thing that caught my attention was the Do-Not-Do-List. It was an interesting change from the traditional To-Do-List, which is pretty easy to create, and always seem to go a mile long and then multiply. Or maybe it's just me?! :)

So, without further adieu, here is my Do-Not-Do-List for 2010 (with some suggestions from that 2nd blog post)!

1. I will stop checking my emails every 5 seconds. I know. Can you imagine me without checking my blackberry every 5 seconds?! Hard to do... I only checked my emails a couple of time a day when I was in Nanaimo over Christmas and the email gods didn't punish me for neglecting them... so it's all good. It won't be easy, and I will likely go through a withdrawal period, but I'm sure I will make it!
2. I will stop trying to do things I do not know how to do properly. And by that, I mainly mean I will get my websites professionally done asap. I have tried fiddling with things on my own and the results have been basic at best and disastrous and extremely frustrating at worst. I will continue doing what I am good at, and let web designers do what they are good at. As far as I'm concerned, it is a win-win situation.
3. I will stop leaving twitter/facebook/email open while working. So much time can be wasted browsing facebook and twitter... Its sad how addictive these sites can get!
4. I will stop doing excessive amounts of free work. This one comes with some sort of a disclaimer - I volunteer my time and knowledge to help several athletes. I enjoy doing that, and that will not change. However, I can not do that all the time, for everyone... I need to eat too, right? The problem is: I LOVE what I do and it just doesn't seem like work, so I find it hard to invoice people for my time and knowledge. Silly, right? Well, it stops now. Although I will be the first to admit I still have a lot to learn (who doesn't have a lot to learn?!), I am good at what I do and should get paid for doing it.
5. I will stop traveling with a knapsack. I actually managed to bruise my shoulder pretty badly carrying a 20kg knapsack around Paris and Oslo this year... Never again! I think it is time to buy myself a real suitcase... One of those with a handle and wheels. Yap, the grown up kind ;-)
6. I will stop putting others needs ahead of mine. This one kind of relates to #4, but goes deeper than getting paid... I do have the tendency to try and help those around me before I help myself... For example - replying to a million emails right away instead of going for a run. I mean, what will happen if I reply to an email a few hours later?! Nothing. If anything, I will be more productive after a great run! Also, it will ease the stress... which again - will increase productivity so I can help more athletes. I like this one :)

I think that is about it for my Do-Not-Do-List. I could share my To-Do-List, but since it is pretty long, I bet everyone who actually made it this far reading this blog post would fall asleep. I have several FUN projects on the go, and I will share them all as they materialize. Please feel free to share your Do-Not-Do-List for 2010!

Happy New Year!!

Noa

PS. Here are a couple of pics from Nanaimo!




2 comments:

Ben Pesso said...

So now will you let me help you with the website????

Great post, by the way. I think I'll adopt it to my blog as well (once I finish the site).

WhiteHotTruth said...

love your list